Monday, December 3, 2007

PNRC Chair Gordon Helps Settle the Ambu-plane Transport of Stranded Filipino Coma Patient

A Filipino tourist who suffered a heart attack while onboard a plane en route back to the Philippines has finally come home today after lying comatose for two weeks at a regional hospital in Siberia, Russia. Romulo del Rosario, 78, together with his wife Leticia and son Gary, was on his way back to Manila from a week-long vacation in Lourdes, Italy when he suffered a heart attack while in flight. The British Airways flight carrying the family made an emergency landing in Irkutsk City in Siberia last October 19 to bring Del Rosario to a hospital. Del Rosario was finally brought home through Flight Ambulance International Plane which landed at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport at 5:15 A.M today.

Emergency medical technicians from the Philippine National Red Cross - emergency response unit took the patient from the ambu-plane right at the Tarmac Ramp of NAIA straight to the Philippine General Hospital.

Del Rosario had been confined comatose in the Irkutsk regional hospital for more than two weeks though his attending physician already gave the clearance to repatriate the patient back to Philippines.

In a text message forwarded by his son, Rolando, to PNRC Chairman Richard Gordon, he said that the travel insurance provider of his father, the Blue Cross of Hongkong, refused to settle the payment for the ambu-plane which cost more than six million pesos.

“We sought the help of Department of Foreign Affairs-Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs (DFA-OUMWA) for assistance but they said that they can only assist OFW’s so they have to endorse our request to the office of the President. Given no other option, we therefore, decided to appeal to the PNRC Chairman Richard J. Gordon, if it is possible for the Red Cross to help us repatriate my husband which is really too expensive because an ambulance plane is needed with doctors on board,” Leticia recounts.

Chairman Gordon immediately carried the request of Mr. Rolando del Rosario and settled everything with the insurance company until everything was arranged.

“Gordon immediately followed-up everything for the transport of my husband. We are very lucky to have the support of the Red Cross, especially of Chairman Gordon. Thank you very much,” she added further.

Del Rosario is now in the Intensive Care Unit of the Philippine General Hospital, being attended to by Dr. Paul Pasco.

No comments: